Sunday, October 23, 2011

Candy Corn Sugar Cookies ~

I know you have all seen these cookies on Pinterest.



I LOOOOOVVVEEEE candy corn. So. Much.
I know, I know! It is pure sugar but I just don't care. Every once in a while I have to haul myself over to the gift shop and buy a 50-cent bag of them. And not just at Halloween either! 
Anyways, this is a very good idea but I put it on the back burner because every other cookie has the stripes going in the wrong order. 
Everyone knows that white is never the color on the big end. Right? 
Yellow is on that end. For all time and eternity. So the fact that half of these cookies is wrong, well, that just held me back.
But then, PTL (Praise the Lord)!  I saw that Sweetsugarbelle had figured out how to make all the stripes be right. She simply dipped the ends of all the cookies in yellow candy melts! I swear, she's a genius!



So I headed to Hobby Lobby and picked up the only bag of yellow candy melts they had left.
Close call.
So, that's how you do it and this is one of the treats we packaged up in our neighborhood treat bags. Yes, that's how we roll and our neighbors are gonna be so happy!
YUM!!
Here is the recipe I used to make the sugar cookie dough. It is a bit different from most recipes that I've seen because it calls for 6 egg yolks and no whites. But hey, that's what makes them so chewy! I wouldn't use any other recipe.

Thick Sugar Cookies
6 egg yolks
4 eggs2 cups butter, softened
2 1/2 cups white sugar
7 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons vanilla extract

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; stir into the sugar mixture. Cover dough and chill for at least one hour.  Roll the dough out on parchment paper to 1/2 inch thick and cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters.  Leave the cookies on the paper and put them in the freezer. After they are frozen, pop them out of the extra dough and either put them in a freezer bag or bake them. To bake, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Place some parchment paper on cookie sheets. Place frozen cookies 2 inches apart on to the prepared baking sheets. Bake for about 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Obviously, for these, you don't do the rolling out part. I made 1 recipe and it was enough for 2 9X5 loaf pans. If you want just one, then you can halve the recipe. (Duh). Also, do not skip the freezing of the dough part. Unless you just want round candy corns for some reason...

So here is what my dough looked like before I put it in the oven. I just cooked them for 8 minutes because they are really small. 


Here is what they looked like after I dipped them in yellow chocolate on the correct end.


I know they aren't as pretty as Sweetsugarbelle's but I know they taste as good!

No comments:

Post a Comment