Monday, July 13, 2009

Talkin 'Bout the Carwash, Baby ~

I took my car to the car wash yesterday evening. I had waited forever because it has been about 400 degrees outside and I did not want to risk a heat stroke. I also had been parking under any tree I could find because it had not crossed my mind yet to get a sun blocker for my window. So the birds had christened my car very well all over the left front hood and top. One of the guys at work even said, "PLEASE, Miss Jennifer, just let me take some water out there and help your car!" So it was time. I pulled into the stall and got out with my 3 little dollars and walked to the change machine. As luck always seems to have it with me, BOTH of the dollar changers were on the blitz. Now, the wash part had a place to insert dollar bills, so I could still wash the outside, but the vacuum only took quarters. So, being the problem solver that I am, I started thinking that at least if I got the outside clean, maybe nobody would know about all the grass and dog hairs and dirt on the inside. And, wouldn't you know it, another blog inspiration popped right into my head.
Is it really OK to look good on the outside, knowing that the inside is still filthy??
We (hopefully) get up and take a shower or bath and put on deodorant. We fix our hair and iron our clothes before we go out. The ladies put on makeup to cover up any blemishes and spray on something that smells nice. We might have a scratch or two, maybe a ding on our doors here and there. But, for the most part, we look pretty good. From a distance. But what about when people get close? Do they hear the bitterness spilling out in our words? Do we put on a smile to cover up the dirty stuff scattered all over the inside of us? And what about our thoughts? Do they please God or would we be embarrassed if someone could open the door and look inside? I thought about just leaving the inside of my car like it was. After all, it was still hot outside and I was tired. I would have to put in some effort to go to the store next door and ask for some change. But change is exactly what I needed although it would take some effort, so I did it. And when I was all finished, I was happy that my car smelled good and people could get in without worrying about getting themselves dirty. That's how I want myself to be too. I want to take the extra effort each day to make sure the inside of me is clean and beautiful, even if the outside has a couple of scratches.

No comments:

Post a Comment