Tuesday, April 26, 2011

All Those Cows are His ~

I have a part-time job outside of my regular job. My boss is a high-falutin' business man and hangs out with some pretty high-falutin' people. It's just 6 or so hours a week but it is my responsibility to keep everything filed, everything up to date, everything in its proper place. We recently moved our office to a new facility and it was my job to unpack (yay!) and I even got my own office! (In my mind at least, lol).
So last week I went in and he had put 3 pictures up in MY office! And they weren't pretty ones either. No pink, no teal, nothing remotely cute. In fact, one of them is so plain, it is depressing. (Thank Goodness he doesn't read my blog)! Ok, so he put up some pictures - big deal.
Well this week I walked in and there was no chair in my office! Where was MY chair?? So I walked down the hall to his office and there it was, just as I suspected. I even asked him, "Can I have my chair back?" The more I thought about it, the more I started laughing at myself. I had taken ownership of several things that didn't even belong to me! The computer, the chair, the files, the paper, the EVERYthing! Actually not one single thing in that office belongs to me. I take care of them but they aren't mine. I worry about them when they go missing but they aren't mine. I get irritable when things are put there that I don't really like, but they aren't mine. And then I felt a tap on my shoulder and heard this still, small voice that said,
"You do that to Me too."
Leave it to God to call me on something like that! But isn't that what we do to God all the time? We think we own everything and try to control everything but we forget that without Him, we wouldn't have any of it.
"Yours, Lord, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the majesty and the splendor, for everything in heaven and earth is yours. Yours, Lord, is the kingdom; you are exalted as head over all." (1 Chron 29:11).
I remember when I was little and maybe I would get sick or hurt or something like that. My mother would always pray for me. She would tell God, "Father, I know this is really your child and you let me have her to take care of. You love her even more than I can, so please heal her." I'm sure that she has prayed that same prayer a number of time for both me and my brother since then about a number of situations. When I stop and think about it, it's true. Everything we have is borrowed from God. Our children (although I don't have any yet), our money, our futures, even my dog (I believe). He just loaned them to us to take care of. 
So I believe that I will start thinking about things from that perspective. It's not my chair to get upset over. It's not my picture and I do not like it but it serves a purpose. No, I don't like the direction he wants me to turn those files but they aren't my files! Sometimes I do worry about stuff but it belongs to God so I know He'll make it right. Sometimes I get upset when He removes things from my life. But when He does, well, it wasn't mine anyway, it was His. Sometimes I get upset about things He puts in my life but I know they serve a purpose. It's time for me to remember Who I belong to and let Him take control of it all. So please pray for me that I'll stop being such a control freak and keep remembering who owns all those cows on all those hills.

1 comment:

  1. Y'all moved to a new office?! And you have an office?! Nice! I'm so glad you work for Mr.K :) I should tell you sometime about the graduation gift he gave me...it was awful...in a funny way.

    ReplyDelete